1. What do scientists call the longest period in humankind's past?
2. During what period did the human species to which we belong, homo sapiens sapiens, develop?
Neolithic Upper Paleolithic
3. What other human species lived at the same time as homo sapiens, but eventually disappeared?
Homo habilis Homo sapiens neandertalensis
4. What was the climate like in the Upper Paleolithic period?
Usually cold and dry
Mostly warm and humid Always hot and dry
Changeable according to the spread of polar ice
5. How did the people of the Upper Paleolithic live?
By hunting and gathering By trading with neighboring clans
By developing the first cities
6. What did the people of the Upper Paleolithic age achieve that has not been found with earlier humans?
Hunting in groups
7. For how long have people known about the art of stone age humans?
For thousands of years
For hundreds of years For less than 200 years
For less than 100 years
8. How long ago were most of the known cave paintings created?
5,000 - 10,000 years ago
10,000 - 20,000 years ago 20,000 - 30,000 years ago
30,000 - 40,000 years ago
9. What are the most common figures represented in cave paintings?
Young children Trees and other plants
10. What are some possible reasons the early people painted the walls of caves?
To enjoy the beauty of the pictures
For religious reasons For hunting magic
All of the above