What to expect on TAAS
Exit Level Reading
Description of the Reading Test: You will be asked to read several passages and then answer multiple-choice questions based on each passage. The passages are drawn from a variety of genres and may be informative, persuasive, literary, or expressive. The multiple-choice questions that follow each passage have been designed to measure how well you understand the passage and how accurately you can interpret what it says. To answer the questions, you will need to do some of the following:
- Determine the meanings of words
- Recognize facts
- Arrange events in sequential order
- Identify the best summary of a reading passage
- Identify the main idea of a reading passage
- Recognize causes and effects
- Predict future actions and outcomes
- Interpret charts and graphs
- Make inferences
- Draw conclusions
- Make generalizations
- Make judgments based on evidence from the reading passage
- Recognize authoršs perspective and purpose
- Distinguish propaganda
- Distinguish between fact and nonfact
Exit Level Writing
Description of the Writing Test: The multiple-choice questions in the Writing Skills portion assess knowledge of the mechanical and technical components of standard written English.
To answer the questions, you will need to do the following:
- Recognize complete sentences and avoid the use of fragments and run-ons
- Combine sentence parts and sentences to produce a variety of sentence structures including simple, compound, and complex
- Use common affixes to change words from one part of speech to another
- Use correct subject-verb agreement with nouns, personal pronouns, indefinite pronouns, and compound subjects, and use correct pronoun-antecedent agreement
- Recognize correct verb tense and correct form of tense of irregular verbs, and avoid faulty shifts in tense
- Use the appropriate forms of adjectives and adverbs and the correct case of pronouns, and avoid the use of double negatives
- Use the fundamentals of spelling
- Use appropriate capitalization
- Use the fundamentals of punctuation
Choose the word or group of words that belongs in the space.
1. Maria's father enjoyed exploring caves on the family's estate in northern Spain. Maria sometimes accompanied _____.
Decide which type of error, if any, appears in the underlined section.
2. The blue whale is the largest animal that has ever lived on the earth; other types of whales are considerabley smaller.
A. Spelling error
B. Capitalization error
C. Punctuation error
D. No error
Answers: 1. D; 2. A
Back to "What to Expect" page
Back to welcome page