Unidad 6 Etapa 1 La vida de la ciudad
In La vida de la ciudad, you learned to tell what happened, make suggestions to a group, describe city buildings, and talk about professions. You also had a chance to learn about Quitos architecture. The architecture of a place influences a citys image. Barcelona, for example, has a different image from Los Angeles. Using what you know, how would you describe the image of the place where you live?
Explore the following links to see more of Quito and Ecuador. Because of its location, Ecuador has a varied topography, including coasts and mountains. As you explore the links below, think about the following questions. Keep pad and paper nearby to write down anything that you find interesting as well as observations.
- If you were an architect, would you use the same type of structure for buildings that were on terrain with a very high elevation (like Quito), and buildings that were at sea level? Explain.
- What characteristics do buildings tend to have in very high elevations?
- What characteristics do buildings tend to have at sea level?
- Do you think the material from which a building is made indicates something about the buildings history? Why?
- What are some of the building styles you see in Ecuador? Do these styles tend to favor one material over another?
Read your notes. On a separate sheet of paper, draw a word web to help you organize the information you acquired. In the center, you might write Arquitectura en Ecuador. Write Quito, Guayaquil, and Cuenca de los Andes on the legs. For each of these places, note the dates each place was developed, the general style of the buildings and the materials, the type of terrain in which architects have to build, and the image of the place. Explain your diagram to the class. You might save your diagram in your portfolio for future reference.