Use the Impact
Calculator to answer these questions.
7. What happens to the crater diameter when you increase the speed
of the asteroids?
8. What happens to the diameter of impact craters as the impact angle
9. How does the kinetic energy of a 1000 m diameter iron asteroid traveling at 17 km/sec compare to the kinetic energy of
an iron asteroid at twice the mass (diameter of 1260 km) traveling at the same speed?
10. How does the kinetic energy of a 1000 m diameter iron asteroid traveling at 17 km/sec compare to a similar one traveling at 34 km/sec?
11. Use the Impact Calculator to determine the size and structure of craters on Earth and the moon produced by asteroids with 500 m diameters
at different speeds, impact angles, and compositions. Make a table on a separate sheet of paper to record your results.