Imagine that Mount Rainier had begun showing signs of awakening,
experiencing earthquakes similar to those that occurred at
Mount St. Helens. In order to save lives, what kind of evacuation
plan would you implement?
Consider the following issues when outlining your evacuation
- When should people leave the area? At the first earthquake,
or not until the volcano starts smoking?
- What should people be allowed to take with them when an
evacuation order is issued? Pets? Livestock? Household goods?
If everyone tried to take everything they owned, might traffic
jams keep people from getting out of the area in time?
- What should be done about people who dont want to
- What if the area was successfully evacuated and then the
volcano didn't erupt? When would you allow people to return
to their homes?
- Where will everyone go? What will happen to businesses,
factories, and airports in the evacuated zone?
! Use the drawing tool to outline the area you would recommend
for evacuation. Answer questions 6 and 7 below.