The student will understand the growing expansionism that shaped United States foreign policy and led to the acquisition of new territories during the late 1800s and early 1900s.
SECTION 1 The United States Continues to Expand
- To identify the factors that led to American imperialism
- To explain the role of William Seward in American expansion
- To describe the annexation of Hawaii
SECTION 2 The Spanish-American War
- To identify the reasons for the Spanish-American War
- To trace the progress of the Spanish-American War in the Philippines and in the Caribbean
- To analyze the results of the war
- To explain the goals of the Anti-Imperialist League
SECTION 3 Involvement Overseas
- To explain how the United States became a world power
- To describe the development of the Panama Canal
- To analyze U.S. involvement in Latin America
- To evaluate the use of "big stick diplomacy"